Our guest poster today is Nayna from Simply Food, and she is sharing these delicious looking English Chocolate Chip Scones.
These are simple and easy to make and the recipe is very versatile as you can make many different varieties by adding ingredients such as chocolate chips, dried fruits, sultanas or fruits.
Preparation Time- 20 minutes
Cooking time -15 minutes
Makes 8 large or 12 small scones
225 g / 8 oz self raising flour
60 g /2 oz chocolate chips
Pinch of salt
60 g / 2 oz butter
30 g / 1 oz caster sugar
150 ml / 5 fl oz milk
1 egg for glazing (optional)
For serving- Jam and clotted cream.
1. Heat the oven to 220 º C/425 º F/ Gas 7. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
2. Mix together the flour and salt and rub in the butter to form a bread crumb texture. Add the chocolate chip.
3. Stir in the sugar and then the milk a little at a time to make to get soft dough.
4. Turn on to a floured work surface and knead very lightly.
5. Roll out the dough to round circle approx 2 cm thick. Use a 5 cm cutter to cut out scones place them on a baking sheet.
6. Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and cut out more scones to until you use up all the dough.
7. Brush the tops of the scones with the beaten egg. Bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden.
8. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
To serve cut in half and spread with jam and add a dollop of clotted cream.
Thank you Nayna for the wonderful post. Please check out more of Nayna’s delicious recipes at Simply Food.