Hello There! My name is Avril from Baking and Creating with Avril. I am absolutely delighted to be doing a guest post for the Secret Recipe Club. For more than a year I have been part of this amazing group of food bloggers. The honor and happiness that I have experienced as being part of the SRC is immeasurable. Every month I have been paired with a fabulous food blogger that has allowed me to increase my love for delicious recipes along with meet and grown friendships over our common passion for food blogging. I can’t thank the participants and administers of the Secret Recipe Club enough for all the fun and yumminess they have added to my life. Merci Beaucoup!
In light of the fact that the Christmas holiday is just around the corner I decided to share with you a lovely recipe of Golden Gingerbread. Simple to make. Delicious to eat. Perfect to give away as a gift!
Although this recipe calls for lots of ground ginger to lend to the traditional taste of gingerbread it doesn’t call for molasses. Molasses is what gives the rich brown color to gingerbread. But not to worry this recipe still provides a familiar taste of gingerbread as the ground ginger is a key ingredient along with my addition of ground cinnamon. A festive and yummy quick bread that I am sure you will enjoy!
(recipe slightly adapted from My Catholic Kitchen)
1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
2/3 cups milk
1 2/3 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 heaping tsp ground ginger (the original recipe called for only 2 tsp)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×5 loaf pan or 3 mini loaf pans.
2. In a medium sauce pan melt together butter, brown sugar and light corn syrup. Stir well while ingredients melt together. Once fully melted and combined take pan off of heat and cool. Cool for at least 10 minutes.
3. While butter mixture cools combine dry ingredients of flour, ground ginger and cinnamon, salt and baking powder all together in a large bowl.
4. Combine egg and milk in a small bowl. Mix slightly and then add to flour ingredients along with cooled butter mixture. Mix all together just enough to combine. Over mixing will create a tough bread…which you don’t want!
5. Pour batter into prepared pan and pop into preheated oven. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool bread in pan for 10-15 minutes before removing from pan. Serve warm with butter (YUM!) or cool completely and wrap in a pretty package to give away.
Wishing everyone a beautiful holiday season and a VERY Happy New Year!
Happy Golden Gingerbread Baking!
Thank you Avril for the wonderful post. Please check out more of Avril’s delicious recipes at Baking and Creating with Avril.